Wednesday 27 February 2013

Examples of animations and colouring.


Me: I know this is not exactly how we envisage the animation to look like. But i thought it would be really intertesting to look at animation examples who use negative space as the background. This is something we should think about more the the colouring. However, i am not saying these colours….
At the moment i imagine out animation being tea stained in colour, it doesn’t have to be completely one tone. I can see the drawings having back outlines and maybe in Post-Production we could photoshop each frame by adding white lines in to highlight certain aspects.
Animations made in the 40′s like this http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TxK1AYtJfdE (superman animation) used a basic colour pallet with very minimal animation… I also was really inspired by the credits at the beginning maybe we could copy this kind of style for when we finish up out animation.
-Also another thing that just popped into my head that is VERY important is the actual finishing of our animation DVD. This means we need to make a DVD case -DVD cover etc. We should all be in charge of the designing as i think it should definitely be a collaborative effort, however I am happy to finish it all off at home – i have DVD cases and labels.
I will upload more links to different animations in due course and i will also upload a photoshop document of the inspiration for the background design.
Also when we have a finished example frame, im not sure who is doing this? 
**** Im assuming it will be either Remus or George – could you upload it asap and i can demonstrate the design for the background that could be useful. If you give me a JPEG of a frame i will do a few examples of different finishes and then we can see what you all think?
Sound okay?
Remus: Sounds ok so far, we’ll be discussing the colour more tomorrow as I’ll be posting up the final character designs with colour this evening. I think the DVD cover should be a later concern: after we’re finished with production. For now we should concentrate on getting the animation done as efficiently as possible.
Me: Of course. I think that we really need to carefully consider the colour of the animation and we need to have a group input. From my point of view (you might not agree), to get this animation done and to a good quality we need to concentrate on churning out the animation and then doing after effects to it to make it look professional. Colouring each frame individually will be too time consuming and frankly we don’t have enough people on board to create and finish it. I will hold out my scepticism until i see your finished designs with colour. Although i do think something more minimal (three colours per frame maximum) is the way forward for our animation to be of a high quality. – I’m sorry to be negative but i’m trying to be realistic.
Remus: I’m hoping to keep the colours as minimal as possible (same: thinking around 3 or 4 colours per frame – even less). I realise colouring is a time consuming process that’s why I’m planning to have the backgrounds a bit more stylised – possibly with only 1 or 2 colours. I’ve also taken into account the time we would have to spend on animation when storyboarding the scenes – that’s why I added so many reaction shots that require minimal animation. Since I work a little quicker with animation in Photoshop, I’ll start working on the more complicated scenes right after we’re done with tomorrow and Friday’s meeting. I think it’s too late at this point in pre-production to change the whole visual style of the film – as that would imply doing the script, storyboard and animatic all over again to fit with a new style.

No comments:

Post a Comment