Thursday 4 October 2012

Final ball bounce

This morning i have been re-doing my new bouncing ball animation. I redrew the whole animation yesterday on a smaller scale and i think it works a lot better. I also played around with taking double frames and also some of the drawings i took three frames to make the animation smoother and slower. I am really pleased with the outcome and i am really pleased that i put in the effort to play each frame as i took it to see if i needed to add duplicate frames or move onto the next drawing.

I have had to upload it onto Vimeo because this blog could not hold all of the data, so i will have to insert the hyperlink onto this post.

I had to add another small arch at the end of the sequence because i felt that the bounce ended to abruptly and it needed to fizz out a little. I also found that i made a pattern in my ball bounce. On the first drop i had one frame per drawing, after the ball hit the floor for its first bounce i did 2 frames per drawings and so on. The further the animation went on i found that i needed to take more frames of the drawings to make it seem like the ball was easing up. If i had taken the same amount of frames for every drawing the ball could be going at the same rate as the previous ball drawing i made, and i felt that the stop was way too sudden. 

Also i changed the structure of the original drawing, i added in some frames and amended others, i was worried that the little mistakes could be seen when the animation played and though that there is not any point in doing something that is not quite right and hope for the best when i can quickly change it now.

I also added a couple of frames of the balls journey so i could show the arch's and the spaceing that i used to create my ball bounce. For some reason, unknown to me, right at the end of the animation i when i put my name, the animation flickers. So ignore that.

Click on the link below to see the animation.



1 comment:

  1. This is a big improvement on the previous animation! There is a feeling of weight as the ball bounces, and the extra frames in the air help a lot too. I would though smooth the ending out further - you can afford to let the ball roll a little further, so try adding some more frames to that - the last few frames should be almost 1/2mm apart. I'm not sure why you animated your name at the end though - I'd rather see the effort go into polishing the animation first, then add those details (if they are ever needed). Keep up the good work though - and I am more than happy with your on-going analysis.

    ReplyDelete